Sunday, October 14, 2007

The latest...

Well friends, its been a while since we posted. Ian has been busy working on his research at CU and I've been working through rotations in my 4th year. ENT and family practice most recently. Ian has been spoiling me with wonderful culinary creations. I've posted a picture of some of his very pretty bread. Last week he made French onion soup that was amazing. I think I could eat it everyday.
One weekend in late September Ian and I took a long hike on a Friday afternoon and crossed over Pawnee Pass. The way up was long but only really steep near the end. The other side of the pass was breath taking and certainly one of the hardest hikes I've done. Not to mention we made our way down the partially snow covered switch-backs during and after sunset. I actually got to use my head lamp for real outdoor stuff, not just walking around at camp. This picture is actually on our way out the second day.
We camped overnight at this beautiful lake on the west side of the divide. Since we picked our spot and set up camp after dark we didn't know how close we were to the lake. But when I peaked out of the tent in the morning I was greeted by a crisp clear lake surrounded by towering mountain cliffs. It was so cold and a big bunch of clouds were rolling over the pass where we needed to hike back through so after walking around a bit trying to stay warm we huddled up in the tent and waited for the clouds to pass. After a couple hours we were able to hike out. Here is Ian getting water with our new water filter!

This is Heather wearing every warm thing we brought with us!!
Ian as we got closer to the pass on our way out.
The view from the top of the pass! A cloud blew in right as we neared the top and we couldn't see any of the valley but then the sky opened up and the view was just beautiful. An Out Fringe moment to be sure.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Heather -
I'm so jealous. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Though I don't think you'd catch me out there without a LOT of warm gear...you probably wouldn't be able to see me through hats, mittens, scarves, fleece socks, etc.

:)
Thanks for sharing!
Charlotte

Emily said...

Ian looks crazed! Thanks for the great post and pictures! I'm so glad you do this- it keeps me up to date on your lives :)

Emily